21 January 2007

Viva la Raza

So I'm getting cabin fever already being stuck inside due to the cold and snow. I decided to run to the video store just to keep busy [I rented Syriana, Holy Grail and X-Men 3 for those keeping track]. When I came out it was snowing like crazy. Funny thing though...as I'm driving south on San Pedro to Gibson THE SUN COMES OUT!!! I've seen rain and sun but never snow and sun.

As I drive west on Gibson it clears up even MORE. I look back and there is this ominous cloud hanging over the area I was just in. I decide to make the best of it since I have my camera with me and head to the National Hispanic Cultural Center. I had always seen the rooftop peeking over Interstate 25. Now was as good a time as any.



The center is used of course for cultural events and houses a magnificant auditorium. Of course gift shop and restaurant included


Your first sight is the Torreon [tower] It is sealed until 2009 as an artist is painting this 'fresco' inside. It's a beautiful building in its simplicity.






The architecture of the main building itself is very beautiful taken from Mexican pyramid style.





These huge steps also function as seating for events on the plaza.


One thing I have always liked about New Mexico are the clouds. As did D.H. Lawrence, Georgia O'keefe and Ansel Adams. I should note Steve Martin also mentioned them in the movie 'LA STORY'.









Another thing I like about the southwest is the marriage between Native American and Spanish architecture. The mixing of adobe and hand carved wood as in doors, vigas, window frames. Very 'earthy' style.













One interesting note. When the land for the National Hispanic Cultural Center was purchased, several families were bought out. Except for one. They STILL own two houses on the property. When they would not sell, the center was built AROUND the two still standing houses. Had a hispanic center of national importance tried to use eminant domain to evict a hispanic family the press would not have been very good to be sure.Its kind of odd to drive up to the center and see these two houses in the middle of the parking lot.




www.nhccnm.org

No comments: