22 October 2009

La Gorge Grande





Last spring, T-Rob and I went 'walkabout' in the great southwest.

One of the amazing places we visited was The Grand Canyon in Arizona.

Words and pictures can not do justice to the beauty of the place.

After watching the PBS series THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA'S BEST IDEA, I had the itch to go again. Fortunately for me The Grand Canyon is only a six hour drive from Albuquerque.

Originally it was only going to be me, my sister and my aunt who only lives two hours from the GC.

My older sister got wind and she wanted to go...as did my younger brother and his roommate.

Needless to say I had to rent a van [which by the way, the Dodge Caravan was AWESOME!!! It was great on gas, drove smoothly and had enough room for seven people!!]

But I digress.

You're here to see the pics.

Having left Valle, AZ, home of Bedrock City, we headed out into dry country.

Desert country soon turned into a forest and you wonder, 'where on earth did they hide the Grand Canyon.

Then.... through the trees... you see it...





[click on ANY picture to enlarge it -- a must!]

My sister Dolores and my brothers roommate, Chad.










...ah to be young...and foolish...








...WORD!!



There are different places along the road to stop and observe the beauty of the canyon. Some people have left their mark.















We stayed late enough that we were able to observe something only some can say they have seen...








...sunset at the Grand Canyon.












It is something you do not forget.

I'm out.

NEXT POST: A painted desert???


www.nps.gov/grca

1 comment:

Dale said...

Mick
Nice post. Glad to see your smiling mug at the edge of the world. Absolutely beautiful pictures.
Dale