04 February 2007

My Flyin' Saucer


So I'm reading the webpage for my hometown [Winslow, AZ] newspaper and the headline reads:

Large UFO spotted near Winslow

Northern Arizona Navajos watch a strange ship fly around for over an hour.




Artistic rendering by Sean Dover of what he claimed to have saw flying above Leupp, Ariz. on his way back home from school in Flagstaff, AZ.

I Google 'UFO WINSLOW' and apparently the area is a hotbed for UFO sightings [can you say White Mountains, mid 70s, Travis Walton, FIRE IN THE SKY]. ...who knew.

I bring this up because I read an article recently where the city of Roswell, NM is planning on buiilding a $25 million [with an m] UFO museum to replace the current kitschy one. UFOs are BIG business down there. It wasn't until I moved to California back in the 20th century that I first heard about The Roswell Incident.







Way back in 1947 a UFO allegedly crashed there and aliens were found, taken, and hidden by the government [no waaaay]. There is even a radio broadcast available on the net [I downloaded it from Limewire]. Since then more and more people have gone to the annual Roswell UFO Festival [50,000 are expected this year for the 60th anniversary.].


With Spaceport America being built in southern New Mexico I'm sure the event will only continue to grow in size.

My brother and I are currently hoping to attend the events this summer on July 4th. should be fun. I'll keep ya posted.




My flyin' saucer
where can you be
Since that sad night
that you sailed away from me
My flyin' saucer
I pray this night

You will sail back before the day gets bright


My flyin' saucer
fly back for home
You will get lost
in the universe alone
My flyin' saucer
end all my fears
Sail back tonight love and kiss away my tears

My flyin' saucer
I pray this night
You will sail back before the day gets bright.

-- Woody Guthry/Billy Bragg
Mermaid Avenue 1&2


www.winslowaznews.com [to read the UFO article]

www.roswellufofestival.com [further info on the festival]

www.spaceportamerica.com

No comments: